The More You Know…

The aim of this page is to educate pet owners in matters often seen at the clinic. Whether it be advice for new owners, new findings in the world of veterinary medicine or what to do if your pet does something regrettable like getting into your chocolate cake. Check back regularly for new links and articles that may be of interest to you as a pet owner.

As the owner of a new puppy you may have heard the term “Parvo Virus”. This article originally found on the Veterinary Partner website explores the parvo virus and its treatment in detail, and explains why vaccination against the potentially deadly disease is so vitally important.

Diabetes in pets is just as dangerous as with humans. This article by Arnold Plotnick gives an explanation of feline diabetes and its treatment

Now that marijuana is legal in Alaska, the ASPCA has some good advice on what do do if your pet accidentally ingests this potentially hazardous herb.

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found lurking in many product for human use, from chewing gum and toothpaste to sugar free cookies. While generally harmless to humans Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia, liver failure and seizures in dogs. It is vitally important to seek treatment immediately if you think your pet has eaten Xylitol. Here is an article discussing where Xylitol might be found, often in places you might never have thought of.

Chocolate is another substance enjoyed by humans but is often hazardous to our pets. This toxicity meter found on the PetMD website illustrates the hazards based on how much your dog ate vs his or her weight.